Skip to main content

MY FINAL PROJECT - LEARNING ITALIAN THROUGH MUSIC, THEATRE and MOVEMENT

 I have enjoyed working on this final project. 


“Don’t just learn a language. Sing it, move it, live it.”
Simona Rodano






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WEEK 2 - The Italian Fairy's Classroom: Where Music, Creativity, and Authentic Learning Meet

  Part 1 – Authentic Intellectual Work (AIW)      Reading about Authentic Intellectual Work (AIW) made me reflect on my own teaching. For almost twenty years I have been teaching Italian to children from Kindergarten through Grade 5 through Arts in Education residency programs. Instead of teaching vocabulary through memorization or worksheets, I teach through music, theatre, storytelling, movement, puppets, and imagination. My goal is not simply for children to remember Italian words for a test, but to use the language in joyful and meaningful experiences. According to Newmann, King, and Carmichael, Authentic Intellectual Work is built on three main components: construction of knowledge, disciplined inquiry, and value beyond school. Unlike traditional instruction, AIW encourages students to think, create, communicate, and apply what they learn in authentic situations rather than simply repeating information. After reading Chapter 2, the component that stood out to me...

PART 3 - BLOG #1 -Reflection on Kolb's Triple E Framework

  Reading Liz Kolb's Learning First, Technology Second reinforced a philosophy that has guided my teaching for many years: technology should support learning rather than become the focus of instruction. As The Italian Fairy, I believe children learn best through meaningful human interaction, music, storytelling, movement, and imagination. Technology becomes valuable only when it creates authentic learning opportunities that deepen understanding and would otherwise not be possible. The lesson I designed reflects all three components of Kolb's Triple E Framework: Engagement, Enhancement, and Extension. First, it promotes Engagement because students are actively involved in communicating with real children in Italy rather than simply completing a digital assignment. They use Italian in an authentic setting by introducing themselves, singing songs, asking simple questions, and sharing aspects of their own culture. The technology is not the lesson itself; instead, it serves as a br...

WEEK 4 BLOG

♬♬♬♬♬♬♬♬ Plan with care, create with delight, MagicSchool helps ideas take flight!  ♬♬♬♬♬♬♬♬ Exploring MagicSchool Lesson Plan: An AI Tool Designed to Support Educators I discovered MagicSchool  🔗 , an AI tool that helps educators create lesson plans quickly and efficiently. I explored the Lesson Plan Creator by designing a lesson for my 5th grade Italian class , where students learn the language through music and theatre . The lesson focused on learning the days of the week in Italian with a final performance in which students sing the Italian song entitled " SETTE MONDI: SEVEN WORLDS " 🔗accompanied by visual art projects, audio and video recordings, a short podcast, and a simple choreography . I entered the learning standards I wanted to address, added a brief description of what my students would have learned throughout the unit, and clicked Create . MagicSchool generated a complete lesson plan that gave me new ideas and a great starting point for my project!  ♬♬♬♬♬♬...