Skip to main content

WEEK 5 BLOG

 

PART 1

Rao, K., & Meo, G. (2016). Using Universal Design for Learning to design standards-based lessons. SAGE Open, 6(4).

Summary and connections to my lesson plan entitled: "Sette Mondi:Seven Worlds"

This article by Rao and Meo describes how teachers can use Universal Design for Learning to create lessons based on academic standards that help all students. To learn but not through the traditional thought or practice in which all students learn in the same way! The UDL framework helps educators to think about flexible ways to design their lesson plans offering more options and opportunities to access information, engage in learning, and demonstrate knowledge in many different ways. 
One of the most powerful concepts that captured me is that the framework for UDL is built on how the brain processes information. I always recognized the need for diversity in teaching strategies but this article made me reflect that I had not linked them to neuroscience. According to Rao and Meo (2016), understanding UDL is grounded in three principles: offering learners the possibility to sense, express, and acquire knowledge of learning in different ways. These principles are directly linked to the corresponding brain networks. Recognition networks find and categorize information; a strategic network supports planning to express learning; affective networks shape motivation and engagement. I found that these three networks act together in the learning process to be informative. Teaching is not just about deciding what students need to learn but also planning how they will access the material, how they will demonstrate their learning, and how I will help them stay motivated throughout the process of learning. As an Italian language teacher and performer, I see the importance of creating richer learning experiences that consider the different strengths, interests, and learning preferences of my students. Another idea that especially caught my attention was the process of unwrapping standards. I find it extremely important now that teachers should first "unwrap" an academic standard by figuring out the concepts students need to understand and the skills they need to develop before planning their course. This process makes sure that lesson objectives, assessments, teaching strategies, and learning activities all stay connected to the intended standard, while focusing on engaging projects. Learning this approach encourages me to start with clear learning targets and then choose activities that help students achieve good results! Thinking about my Sette Mondi: Seven Worlds lesson for fifth-grade students learning the days of the week in Italian, I can first  unwrap an academic standard and then start with the song and then all the digital activities. For example, I could use the Grade 5 English Language Arts Speaking and Listening Standard (CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.SL.5.4). Unwrapping this standard, helps me to figure out what students need to know, such as the Italian names of the days of the week, how to pronounce them, and the history of the origin linked to each day. It also helps me to determine what students need to do, like organizing ideas, explaining information clearly, speaking with confidence, and presenting to an audience. Once these learning targets are set, I can thoughtfully design activities that support them, such as making a Canva storyboard, writing an original song using SUNO, recording a podcast, and creating digital artwork with Photopea. I think that my Sette Mondi lesson also demonstrates the three principles of Universal Design for Learning described in the article. First, students learn in different ways. Instead of only using vocabulary lists or worksheets, students experience the Italian days of the week through the power of music, engaging storytelling, Roman mythology, digital media, and visual art. Assignments are in several formats, making language learning more accessible and I believe that they helps students form stronger connections to the material. Second, because students have various ways to show what they have learned,  rather than only completing a traditional written assignment, students can show their understanding by making a digital storyboard, recording a podcast, composing an original song, and producing digital artwork. These different forms of expression let students use their individual strengths and passion enjoying the different tools. Keeping students interested and motivated is in my opinion one of the most important goals for a teacher. The article describes how meaningful and engaging learning experiences help students stay actively involved in learning. My lesson brings together music, creativity, storytelling, technology, and Italian culture to turn vocabulary instruction into a real experience. Instead of just memorizing the names of the days of the week, students sing, create, communicate, work together, and make personal connections to the language. I believe these experiences boost motivation and help students build confidence in learning a different language: Italian. This article made me think about the importance of lesson planning. It reminded me that effective teaching is not just about presenting content but also about designing learning experiences that are accessible, purposeful, and engaging for every single student. As I keep teaching Italian through music and theatre, I plan to use the UDL framework to design lessons that are creative, standards-based, and responsive to the needs of all learners.

References

Rao, K., & Meo, G. (2016). Using Universal Design for Learning to design standards-based lessons. SAGE Open, 6(4), 1–12. https://doi.org/10.1177/2158244016680688

National Governors Association Center for Best Practices, & Council of Chief State School Officers. (2010). Common Core State Standards for English language arts & literacy in history/social studies, science, and technical subjects. https://corestandards.org/ela-literacy/


PART 2 

CAST Universal Design for Learning website 

For my Sette Mondi lesson, I chose two UDL guidelines that I believe are important for my lesson plan and my students. Guideline 7, Design Options for Welcoming Interests & Identities, Nurture joy and play (7.3) and Guideline 5, Design Options for Expression & Communication, Use multiple tools for construction, composition, and creativity (5.2). I think that these two UDL  guidelines are part of my approach to teaching Italian through music, theatre, storytelling, and technology.

The first consideration, Nurture joy and play  (7.3), reminds teachers tneeds to enjoy the learning process. This is one of my main goals: to make language learning meaningful instead of having students just memorize Italian vocabulary. In my Sette Mondi lesson, students learn the Italian days of the week through an original song, Roman mythology, storytelling, movement, and creative digital activities. Rather than treating the days of the week as separate vocabulary words, students explore the stories behind each day and connect them to culture, history, and the modern world. They also make their own podcasts, songs, and artwork, which lets them personalize what they learn and show their creativity. I think these real-world experiences help students form an emotional bond with the lesson, which makes the language easier to remember and more enjoyable to learn.

The second consideration, Use multiple tools for construction, composition, and creativity (5.2), is another strong part of my lessons. Students have several options for showing what they have learned, not just a traditional worksheet or quiz. Throughout the lesson, they build a digital storyboard in Canva, create artwork in Photopea, compose an original song using SUNO, and record a podcast explaining the meaning of one of the Italian days of the week. These tools give students different ways to communicate their understanding, while also encouraging creativity, teamwork, and critical thinking. I especially value that students can pick the medium that best matches their strengths and interests, while still working toward the same learning goals.

After reading the CAST UDL Guidelines, I can say that they have helped me better understand why my teaching choices are effective and have motivated me to always find new digital tools  when planning lessons. Choosing engaging activities is great, but learning about how each activity supports student engagement, creative expression, and meaningful access to the curriculum is fundamental. Making language learning more inclusive, engaging, and memorable for all my students is my greatest goal!

References

CAST. (2024). Universal Design for Learning guidelines version 3.0. https://udlguidelines.cast.org/


PART 3

2024 NETP

Reading the 2024 National Educational Technology Plan (NETP), makes me reflect on the real challenge of using technology in the classroom. Students should not use technology only for digital worksheets, watching videos, in a sort of passive way… but the great world of technology should be used to empower their creativity, team work, problem solving skills, and share their ideas with others. 

If I think about my Sette Mondi: Seven Worlds lesson plan, I am motivated to not use technology for basic tasks, but I encourage my students to create a podcast, design a storyboard in Canva, write a song with SUNO, and make digital art with Photopea. These projects allow students to be creative and take an active role in their learning. I believe that technology helps experiential learning. Technology should always support learning, without taking the place of the teacher!

References

U.S. Department of Education, Office of Educational Technology. (2024). 2024 National Educational Technology Plan: A call to action for closing the digital access, design, and use divides. U.S. Department of Education. 


Simona


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WEEK 2 - The Italian Fairy's Classroom: Where Music, Creativity, and Authentic Learning Meet

  Part 1 – Authentic Intellectual Work (AIW)      Reading about Authentic Intellectual Work (AIW) made me reflect on my own teaching. For almost twenty years I have been teaching Italian to children from Kindergarten through Grade 5 through Arts in Education residency programs. Instead of teaching vocabulary through memorization or worksheets, I teach through music, theatre, storytelling, movement, puppets, and imagination. My goal is not simply for children to remember Italian words for a test, but to use the language in joyful and meaningful experiences. According to Newmann, King, and Carmichael, Authentic Intellectual Work is built on three main components: construction of knowledge, disciplined inquiry, and value beyond school. Unlike traditional instruction, AIW encourages students to think, create, communicate, and apply what they learn in authentic situations rather than simply repeating information. After reading Chapter 2, the component that stood out to me...

PART 3 - BLOG #1 -Reflection on Kolb's Triple E Framework

  Reading Liz Kolb's Learning First, Technology Second reinforced a philosophy that has guided my teaching for many years: technology should support learning rather than become the focus of instruction. As The Italian Fairy, I believe children learn best through meaningful human interaction, music, storytelling, movement, and imagination. Technology becomes valuable only when it creates authentic learning opportunities that deepen understanding and would otherwise not be possible. The lesson I designed reflects all three components of Kolb's Triple E Framework: Engagement, Enhancement, and Extension. First, it promotes Engagement because students are actively involved in communicating with real children in Italy rather than simply completing a digital assignment. They use Italian in an authentic setting by introducing themselves, singing songs, asking simple questions, and sharing aspects of their own culture. The technology is not the lesson itself; instead, it serves as a br...

WEEK 4 BLOG

♬♬♬♬♬♬♬♬ Plan with care, create with delight, MagicSchool helps ideas take flight!  ♬♬♬♬♬♬♬♬ Exploring MagicSchool Lesson Plan: An AI Tool Designed to Support Educators I discovered MagicSchool  ðŸ”— , an AI tool that helps educators create lesson plans quickly and efficiently. I explored the Lesson Plan Creator by designing a lesson for my 5th grade Italian class , where students learn the language through music and theatre . The lesson focused on learning the days of the week in Italian with a final performance in which students sing the Italian song entitled " SETTE MONDI: SEVEN WORLDS " 🔗accompanied by visual art projects, audio and video recordings, a short podcast, and a simple choreography . I entered the learning standards I wanted to address, added a brief description of what my students would have learned throughout the unit, and clicked Create . MagicSchool generated a complete lesson plan that gave me new ideas and a great starting point for my project!  ♬♬♬♬♬♬...